Sunday, June 27, 2010

Family Garage Sale

Rylee wanted so badly to have a garage and bake sale. Her and Dave started pulling things out to sale. She was so excited that Reganne soon followed. Every day they would ask me when we were going to have our sale. Weekends are my time to catch up and get ready for the week ahead. We finally found a Saturday that worked. I placed the ad in the newspaper and I knew there was no going back. Dave suggested running an ad on Craig's List as well.

Saturday 7:00 am arrived the stuff was out and the treats ready. However, nobody was there. 7:05 am cars started pulling up one after another.


Rylee manned the money box. Reganne watched the treats. Ryder wandered around. Dave stayed in the house away from the craziness. I haggled with people.

By 7:30 the crowd had left and so had alot of our stuff.

10:00 arrived and the sale was over or so we thought. Another group of people arrived. This time however, they looked around and left. We had been picked over pretty good.
We still had most of our furniture and toys. It was a good morning making $410 in three hours. The kids sold all the muddy buddies. Rylee commented that maybe treats weren't such a good idea after all. People are too busy looking to buy treats.
We sold the couch on Craig's List in under three hours for full asking price. Our final total was $510. Not bad for a little hard work and lots of haggling.
Lucky for me it takes us a couple of years to build up enough stuff to sale.

1 comment:

Susan said...

You did much better than us. My family did a yard sale years ago and hardly made any money. I haven't tried it since. I usually just get rid of stuff right away when the DI truck comes to the stake center.