Thursday, May 3, 2018

Long Course Season Kickoff Meet

The Long Course Season started off after spring break.  I was sure that I knew exactly what was going on.  I read the emails, notes, and Ryder shared all the info he learned after each practice.  I knew we were headed to Cedar City since the only pool in Southern Utah was on the SUU Campus.  I also knew that we needed to leave early enough to eat, drive, and find the pool.  Warm ups begin at 4:30.  We set off just the two of us.  We found the building with a little help from Google Maps now we had to find the pool.  Of course we take the long way and find it on the other side of the building.

WOW!!!
That is a big pool!!!
Do I have to swim that far??
This was a huge pool over 50 meters long.  The kids reaction was priceless as they walked in.  You could tell the first time participants by how big their eyes were.  The older kids were busy chatting strategy with their friends.

Warm ups begin

5 events tonight
He wasn't participating on Saturday.
I was volunteering again as a timer with the first event being a 200 meter.  This event was going to take a long time to get through this one.  Ryder found his team mates and was soon cheering each other on.

He is in my lane
Can I record him for Dave to see?

We did it!!!
Time to wait until our next evet.

First Place...3.30.2
I started recording the 2 event of the night.  However, the line judge quickly told me that it was against the rules to stand behind the starting blocks to record.  I stopped since I didn't want to be the reason he was DQ.  The pool is large but the timing spots were really small.  The large amount of kids running around, officials, and volunteers made for a hot smelly mess.

Another 1st Place in the
100 Backstroke.

5th Place in 100 Breast Stroke

Unknown on this event
The time didn't show.
He survived and swam all 5 events but was extremely tired.  As we left the pool we discovered the much shorter way out to the parking lot.  Wait a minute everything is all wet.  It had been raining while we were inside and not just a little bit.  We headed towards home with Ryder crashing for most of the drive.

The official times & places have yet to be announced.  The only thing for sure we know is that he didn't get DQ on any of them.

No comments: