Sunday, January 31, 2010

Potty Training

What a fun week it has been with Ryder and sorry no pictures. He has become fascinated by going potty or in his words "Water". When our kids have turned two years old I have moved them out of diapers and into pullups. We make a big deal of them growing up and no more diapers. I have been advised from the time Ryder was born that boys are slow to potty train. There hasn't been any real rush to use the potty or even make the transition.

January came and we finished all of our diapers and moved him to pullups. He finally figured out that something needed to happen it wasn't quite sure of what it was. Then one day he went pee in his little potty. He looked up and replied "Water" That started our potty training adventure. He loves to sit on the potty and earn Yum Yums (M&Ms). I still really haven't pushed it. We put him on before his shower and try again in the morning. When you ask him the reply has been "No Water". When he sits down it's "Come On Water or No water come out".

This week he has started coming and getting us to go water. It has taken me a little time to understand what he wants. He has actually done it. Then he told me he had to poop. So I sat him down. He usually only sits for about 5 seconds. I was running crazy getting everyone ready for church. When I turned around he was running naked through the house screaming. Before I could investigate, Rylee was screaming down the hall that there was poop on the carpet. What a surprise!! He actually started going and it scared him. He jumped off the potty and started running to come and tell me. I felt really bad and couldn't scold him because it really was my fault.

Now, he wants to dump the water and flush the toilet. I quess these are all tiny steps towards the final one.

I pledge to be better and not believe all the advise about boys. Who knows he might be potty trained before 5 years old.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Both my girls were around 3 when they were finally potty trained. It took awhile. Annalise was easier. Poor Robyn got the idea to use the potty but we had to wait until she was able to have more control. Good luck!

Unknown said...

My boys were easier than my girls. Jaxen got it right away and only had 1-2 accidents. He also is dry at night and out of pull ups. Morgan wasn't done until 5 with pullups at night. Joshua still has his struggles, but I think they are more due to the physical limitations that he has than anything. Rachel wants to go and will no longer allow a wet diaper. I have to convince her that she can pee in one more than once. I should just bite the bullet, but I like to fully potty train when I know they will go potty by themselves instead of my reminding them all the time. Rachel will go every time on the potty and will usually poop in it too if I stop to put her on it. I just can't bring myself to potty train yet, since I just finished with the triplets 7 months ago.

The Biggs said...

Potty trained by 5 definitely sounds about right. Brinton just went through a two-week stretch of accidents daily and he's 5! For him potty trained by college might fit better.