Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Election Season

Every year I try to learn about candidates and the current issues to make informed decisions. This year with a special election for District #2 it has thrown the whole cycle off. I have also taken a couple of government classes from Community of Self Governance. Each one answers questions as well as giving me more questions that I don't understand. One class in July we had an unexpected guest show up. One of the candidates running for District 2. I was completely lost on who was running and why. It is time to investigate.

Another race is brewing in St George with 16 candidates running for 3 spots. Some crazy stuff has been reported locally that need better understanding. There is also another group of people that are showing up to everything meeting and creating chaos.  A little digging and listening is what is required this time around. Now I need to convince Ryder to join me on this adventure. I love his insight and his questions.

District 2 Debate
It's hot outside and I had to bribe Dave & Ryder to come with me. Ice cream worked in getting them there.

The room was starting to fill up.

It's a full house
Ryder was definitely the youngest in the room.
The group that has been stirring it up are once again in attendance.
This time the main person is dressed with a tin foil hat and sign around his neck "Innocent Bystander"
The debate started with only 2 of the 3 candidates. The 3rd one chose not to attend this one or the next 10 being held in each county of the district.
One member of the group asked a very intelligent questions but very confrontational.
Afterwards over ice cream we talked about what impressions we each had.


Next up city council  Meet the Candidates.
Each candidate has a booth to meet and greet.
Followed up with a 2 minute intro to the audience. Then question time.
Dave decided not to go to this event. Ryder was sure that it was going to be a waste of time.
We played a game of trying to narrow down the field to 3 that we could vote for.
At the end we had done it. 3 stood out a little more than the others. An interesting item one candidate is from that group. She is well spoken and draws people to her. My issue is that once again chaos follows this group where ever they go and whom ever they talk to.

I believe we are better prepared for the primary election next month. The one thing I am already tired of is the commercials, political signs scattered on every road around town.

No comments: