Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Ironman World Championship

This is the big one that has always been held in Hawaii.  However, after 2 years of restrictions, closures, and just plain weirdness the show must go one.  The decision was made to move it to St George where the World Championship 1/2 Ironman was held in September.

They once again needed many volunteers to help out of the week long event.  We had the opportunity to volunteer for our swim club.

Volunteer Food Tent
It was hot!!
The food was good Chick-Fil-A

This is the bike catcher area
All prepared for tomorrow.

Early morning instructions
Prepping for all the athlete that are on their way.

T2 Transition Area
Watch your step the bikes will start flying
shortly.

Athlete & Spectators
Relax on the grass and enjoy the show on the 
big screen.  It was being broadcast live on Peacock.

VIP Lounge
My 2nd area to volunteer at.
This was at the finish line for all the pro athletes to rest,
eat, and unwind after a grueling event.
I even talked to a few.  The team from Finland were really fun.

Mo Beta's
Another great meal for the volunteers.


Thank You!!
This band was handed out to all of the athletes on day one.
The goal was to give to a volunteer that they felt like was doing a great job.
I received one from a nervous athlete trying to figure how this area worked.
I later found out the story behind the bands.  I was surprised that she gave it to me.

Ironman Swag
My last area was the Doping Area.
I had to make sure that the bathrooms in the area stayed secure.
The Ironman Staff were grateful that we stayed and helped them out.
They brought hats, visors, towels for us to have.
I am not sure that my family appreciated what I brought home or not.

It was a crazy busy weekend and town was packed.  It was also a great weekend to learn about this crazy sport and all of the athletes.  They are all really friendly and excited to be here.  I even met both men's & women's champions.  I had a great time and maybe see them all again in the Fall.

No comments: